The New Oath Of Pharmacist For Pharmacy Students In Nigeria

The new oath for pharmacist in Nigeria
The new oath for Pharmacist
The first sets of pharmacists to be inducted were students of Ahmadu Bello University (A.B.U), Zaria in 1988. Ever since them, thousands of other pharmacist have pass through the same process. However, on the 9th of march, 2015, the Pharmacists Council Of Nigeria (P.C.N) gave approval for a new oath to be administered to pharmacy students on the day of their induction. Let us see the new oath.
Read Also: The Pharmacists Oath For Pharmacy Students In Nigeria And Its Meaning

The New Pharmacist Oath

As a pharmacist, I vow to serve humanity and to support my profession’s ideas and commitments
I shall be guided in all dimensions of my life by the highest standards of human conduct and accordingly, will perform my services and duties with devotion, dignity, discretion, and honour
I shall apply the full measure of my knowledge, skills, and activities to improving the health and well being of all those I serve and place their needs above my personal interest and considerations
I shall treat all those I serve equally, fairly and with respect regardless of gender, race, religion, culture, or political beliefs
I shall maintain and improve my professional knowledge and competence throughout my career
I shall support the advancement of knowledge, skills, and standards of practice in pharmacy
I shall be committed to nurture the future members of my profession
I shall not use all my knowledge of drugs, diseases, and medicines to cause injury to humanity
I shall sustain my dignity and respect for human life in the course of my practice
In taking this oath, I honour those who have supported my development as a pharmacist and commit myself never to act in a manner that is contrary to these laws
It is with solemnity and honour that I freely and publicly take this OATH

Below the paper is the space for the new pharmacist to put down name, sign with date. 

Meaning Of The New Oath

However, this new oath is almost similar to the copy drafted by the International Pharmaceutical Federation (F.I.P) for pharmacists all over the world. This was adopted by the FIP council on 31st August, 2014 in Bangkok, Thailand. FIP encouraged all member states to use this oath that took them about two years to draft. The difference was not much.
Paragraph One: A simple way to promise loyalty to the profession and a decision to help the society
Paragraph Two: The service to humanity will not be complete is it is not done properly especially with personal interest which comes from displaying the above mentioned attributes
Paragraph Three: To use knowledge gain in the profession from school to assist the nation in terms of health without being bias
Paragraph Four: Service to the nation must never be clouded by sentiments on certain topics such as religious difference between the pharmacist and the patient
Paragraph Five: A promise to keep learning for the benefits of the patients as drug use keeps changing as well as services render
Paragraph Six: As pharmacists keep learning, it is their duty and responsibility to share beneficial ideas for the benefits of the nation. Hiding ideas that can save a nation is an offence
Paragraph Seven: Support, to be specific, students at each stage. This is almost similar with the above paragraph
Paragraph Eight: The knowledge of the pharmacist must be used for the benefit of the patient. Using this knowledge for illegal activities is bad such as pushing hard drugs with a pharmacy licence
Paragraph Nine: The oath is for life and not for some time. So therefore, this vow is binding to any pharmacist as long as he/she is registered in Nigeria
Paragraph Ten: A show of respect for those ahead that made this possible at all times. This includes the government and fellow pharmacist.
Paragraph Eleven: The last sentence is usually a declaration that the oath was willingly and not under compulsion in clear mind
This oath is new and have a different undertone from the past one. Could this oath change some years to come? Only time will tell

Share On Social Media With Family And Friends To Show You Care!

Comments

  1. What's up everyone, it's my first visit at this site, and paragraph is genuinely fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these
    types of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter if some one searches for his required thing, so he/she needs to be available
    that in detail, therefore that thing is maintained over here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please have your say

Consultation Service